Discussing the Issues Removed

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Discussing the Issues Removed

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:07 pm

Hey @wbtfg . I was just reading another article and had a thought. Given your support of local authorities being given the responsibility to administer the law, can we assume that you support local experts having the last word on border security?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:33 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:07 pm
Hey @wbtfg . I was just reading another article and had a thought. Given your support of local authorities being given the responsibility to administer the law, can we assume that you support local experts having the last word on border security?
Wow. That’s a pretty big jump. I’m not sure. What would an example be?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:36 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:33 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Federal Government sets policy for the border. Should it be up to states like Texas to determine how they administer the law?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Federal Government sets policy for the border. Should it be up to states like Texas to determine how they administer the law?
I don’t know….thats a pretty broad example especially when compared to location of tampons. , I guess it depends. Like if federal policy says detained immigrants must be provided three meals per day, I think locally they can make the determination on what the meals are each day.

If you want to compare federal to local, I look at it like some of the federal education standards.

Example: Fed policy says kids should learn “X” concepts by the end of 3rd grade, it’s up to local districts to decide how they make that happen.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:30 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I don’t know….thats a pretty broad example especially when compared to location of tampons. , I guess it depends. Like if federal policy says detained immigrants must be provided three meals per day, I think locally they can make the determination on what the meals are each day.

If you want to compare federal to local, I look at it like some of the federal education standards.

Example: Fed policy says kids should learn “X” concepts by the end of 3rd grade, it’s up to local districts to decide how they make that happen.
Good example on your part. Let’s narrow down the border issue for discussion purposes. Let’s say federal policy is to not deport illegal immigrants. Local jurisdictions are going to bear the brunt of this cost in housing, meals, etc. Should local agencies be allowed to make their own decisions on whether illegal immigrants should stay? It’s like you said earlier, they would be the experts on the situation.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:35 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 2:30 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Good example on your part. Let’s narrow down the border issue for discussion purposes. Let’s say federal policy is to not deport illegal immigrants. Local jurisdictions are going to bear the brunt of this cost in housing, meals, etc. Should local agencies be allowed to make their own decisions on whether illegal immigrants should stay? It’s like you said earlier, they would be the experts on the situation.
Still waaaay too broad. Deportation is a pretty big leap from where to put sanitary materials such as Kleenex, toilet paper and tampons.

This would be like the fed govt telling the local sheriff what color napkins can be used for dinner time in the county jail.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:58 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:35 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Still waaaay too broad. Deportation is a pretty big leap from where to put sanitary materials such as Kleenex, toilet paper and tampons.

This would be like the fed govt telling the local sheriff what color napkins can be used for dinner time in the county jail.
So, if I am understanding you correctly, you only want the “locals” to have a say in the small stuff. You prefer big government to make the big decisions for us. Why don’t you think locals can think for themselves for big decisions (unless it is about feminine hygiene products). Based on what you said earlier, the locals should know what is best for themselves.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:15 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:58 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you only want the “locals” to have a say in the small stuff. You prefer big government to make the big decisions for us. Why don’t you think locals can think for themselves for big decisions (unless it is about feminine hygiene products). Based on what you said earlier, the locals should know what is best for themselves.
I just don’t think placement of hygiene products compared to deportation is an apples to apples conversation.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 4:15 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 3:58 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I just don’t think placement of hygiene products compared to deportation is an apples to apples conversation.
Of course it is not apples to apples, but based on your reasoning, why would that matter? Isn’t your reasoning for locals making the final decisions on feminine hygiene products because they are more familiar with the situation. Why would it be any different for the situation at the border. Wouldn’t the locals be more familiar with the situation?