Fall Camp

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Fall Camp

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:07 pm

I was referring to Bauman

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:13 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 1:08 pm
Monymony wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:34 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:11 am
This comment from Colter is a bit of a surprise to me - but I guess we'll see. I guess I'll come back to the Tommy example. When we're all watching that Cat Griz game in Missoula before the coaches decided to start Tommy..... were you, or was anyone else looking at Tommy thinking, he's ready, I know he's ready to start and win big games??

"But to me, it's very clear that neither Reed or Wilson is ready to play in big games. Given the offense MSU runs and the makeup and history of Mellott, you have to have someone who is ready to play in a big game. And every person I know who has watched spring and fall ball from the MSU side of things agrees."
I would attribute the defense in 21 and McCutcheon to Tommy’s success in the playoffs. He was good but definitely helped to have multiple NFL guys on the team. You can call me crazy but I think a guy like Wilson or Reed could boost the offense and really get the ball into the skill players’ hands more often. Look at guys like Jared White or McCutcheon who don’t get the ball enough, if Tommy gets hurt they could see a lot more touches. As long as Wilson or Reed or whoever can manage the game and not turn it over I think we have enough good players where we would be fine, maybe not championship level, but fine.
Pretty hard to blame Tommy for McCutcheon not getting the ball enough.
What? Don't you think Tommy can throw the ball from Bozeman to New Jersey?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:34 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:54 pm

I would think maybe Chance Wilson could perform the Travis Jonson role in the red zone.

2024 Resume dominance

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:18 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:54 pm
I would think maybe Chance Wilson could perform the Travis Jonson role in the red zone.
Seems like it would work. Maybe even better than Jonsen since there would be a more than remote possibility that Chance would throw it. When Jonsen lined up in the backfield in the stadium knew what was going to happen, down to the hole he was going to run though, and it still worked 90%+ of the time.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:30 pm

Wilson is listed at 180 lbs.

If you use him like Jonsen, he’ll break.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:56 pm

From what I heard, and saw today, jones is very good catching the ball out of the backfield.

Mellott and other quarterbacks spent much time checking down to short routes.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:01 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 3:18 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:54 pm
Seems like it would work. Maybe even better than Jonsen since there would be a more than remote possibility that Chance would throw it. When Jonsen lined up in the backfield in the stadium knew what was going to happen, down to the hole he was going to run though, and it still worked 90%+ of the time.
You could use any number of RBs in that role. Heck, Isaiah Ifanse took direct snaps from the center and ran/threw the ball.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:56 pm
From what I heard, and saw today, jones is very good catching the ball out of the backfield.

Mellott and other quarterbacks spent much time checking down to short routes.
That'd be a neat trick.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:04 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:37 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:43 am
Jhase McMillan is for real.
Care to expound on that statement? What makes you say that? Is there something he did that opened your eyes?
Last edited by BobcatBuiltTexan on Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:26 pm

catatac wrote:
This comment from Colter is a bit of a surprise to me - but I guess we'll see. I guess I'll come back to the Tommy example. When we're all watching that Cat Griz game in Missoula before the coaches decided to start Tommy..... were you, or was anyone else looking at Tommy thinking, he's ready, I know he's ready to start and win big games??

"But to me, it's very clear that neither Reed or Wilson is ready to play in big games. Given the offense MSU runs and the makeup and history of Mellott, you have to have someone who is ready to play in a big game. And every person I know who has watched spring and fall ball from the MSU side of things agrees."
I was not surprised when Tommy Mellott broke out in 2021. And that entirely stemmed from talking to Troy Andersen, Ty Okada, Daniel Hardy, Chase Benson, Lance McCutcheon, Lewis Kidd etc. Every single one of them mentioned Tommy's pace-setting work ethic, drive, aptitude and maturity before he ever became the starter. He was the hero of the Idaho game (besides Troy) and that was several weeks before he was named the starter. The internal scuttle for the last 2/3 of the season that year was that Matt McKay was what was holding them back.

I was also not surprised when Jake Bleskin, Dakota Prukop and even Chris Murray were ready as young guys. Guys who are ready tend to shred the 2nd, 3rd and scout team defenses consistently. Dakota Prukop had a legend internally for two years before he snared the job. The entire defense used to call him "Dak Live" and they all KNEW he was going to be the guy when there was that QB competition including Prukop, Bleskin, McQueary and Roderick.

Jordan Johnson at Montana was so clearly ready to be the guy the entire season before he took over as the starter as a sophomore. Chris Murray was toasting the defense Choate's first year before he ever got game snaps. Then in his first game action, he rushed for 187 yards and three touchdowns, including a pair of 58 yard scores.

In this year's spring game, you saw Reed against the 2 and 3 defense, Wilson against the mostly 3 defense. Neither looked superior or even on par with their level of competition. Maybe it was a small sample size. I will admit, I have only seen five total live sessions involving them outside of games over the last year or so. But all sources across the board that I talk to regularly that see MSU on a daily or almost daily basis have similar evaluations. And if the narrative around you from an internal and external perspective is not that you are constantly giving the defense headaches, it's unlikely you're ready.

Again, the point that young quarterbacks can't be ready until they are thrown in the fire is a good and fine one. But if you aren't slaying the daily competition, it's hard to develop confidence internally and externally. I'm talking in generalities now, not about those two young men.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:16 pm

catatac wrote:

I thought it was an absolute mistake at the time, posted it here, yet have been very happy being wrong about it and being able to see all of Mellot’s games on TV and in person. That SDSU semifinal game was unreal.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:29 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:16 pm
catatac wrote:

I thought it was an absolute mistake at the time, posted it here, yet have been very happy being wrong about it and being able to see all of Mellot’s games on TV and in person. That SDSU semifinal game was unreal.
It’s funny, my brother was telling me all season in 2021 that the Cats needed to play Tommy more. I thought my brother was absolutely nuts. Even after Tommy had a couple of good games filling in for McKay, I thought he was pretty one dimensional. Then, the playoffs happened and McKay was benched and then bailed. I figured the Cats might win one playoff game, if they were lucky. Yeah, didn’t see the rise of Tommy coming at all. Heck, Choate even brought Tommy in as a safety project, not a potential starting QB and one of the most electric offensive players in Bobcat history.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:31 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:53 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:22 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:21 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:14 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 3:29 pm
Colter, I’m curious. You said it was irresponsible for MSU to not bring in a transfer QB because they don’t have a backup. I have multiple questions.

1) Why don’t you think Jordan Reed is good?

2) Why is Fife automatically viewed as better than Reed?

3) What starter quality QB is going to transfer to MSU where they have an established starting QB, and the only chance they’d play is in case of injury or blow out?
We will hash this out on the next podcast....but short answers:

1 - there's a big difference between "good" and ready. I do not think Jordan Reed is ready. I thought he held on to the ball too long during the spring game and the word is that his command of a huddle, his ability to get in and out of things is limited. Part of that might be a new offensive coordinator. But one of the top factors to Montana State's success is either Tommy Mellott staying healthy or Reed/Chance Wilson making a big jump. For what it's worth, Wilson has been operating the No. 2 offense the last week.

2 - I also do not think Fife is ready> I think he makes quite a few risky decisions and turns the ball over much more than the head coach he plays for will allow. I'm of the opinion that Clifton McDowell was an average at best quarterback....but he could run the ball effectively and he never turned the ball over. That's one of the main reasons Montana made a run last year.

3 - Montana State added a player who started in the FBS when they added Sean Chambers. And it saved their bacon on multiple occasions.

Love the questions! I'm pasting them in a doc and Tootell and I, + Mike Rider and I will address them in future episodes in the next week or so. Please keep asking!
Thanks for the response!

1) I would counter that you can’t become ready until you’re put in a position to be ready. If they continually bring in transfer QB’s, they won’t develop the ones they recruit. I actually think Bobby is a perfect example of this. Ah Yat could be the first QB that goes from HS recruit to starter since…Bergquist?

2) If you say that Fife isn’t ready, and that Reed isn’t ready, it hardly seems fair to say that MSU/Vigen was irresponsible in their QB room. I actually think the situations are similar, both universities have inexperienced backups but one could argue that MSU has more in terms of experience due to longevity, and it’s not like Reed, Wilson, and Duchien are lacking in talent. To clarify, I don’t have a problem with saying Reed isn’t ready, more in how you framed it. MSU was irresponsible because they didn’t bring in a transfer? By logic, is Hauck not irresponsible because he largely refuses to get quality HS QB recruits or allow them to develop? Yet you don’t use that kind of language with Hauck. Just my observation.

3) Chambers came to play for his former OC/QB coach after he got benched at Wyoming. It was a different, and unique circumstance that isn’t easily replicated.
The No. 1 thing to understand when comparing the Cats & the Griz or comparing the Griz to anyone is that Bobby Hauck does not depend on the quarterback to win like the vast majority of other modern football organizations. In fact, it's almost as if he wants to prove to the world that he can win a national championship IN SPITE of his quarterback....

It wouldn't matter if Hauck had Tommy Mellott or DeNarius McGhee or whoever....he would bring in a transfer every single year to compete with that person. Bergquist was a starter as a redshirt freshman after Jason Washington fell apart and led Montana to the playoffs down the stretch of an otherwise pretty mediocre 2005 season. The following year, instead of letting Bergquist be an incumbent and potentially four-year starter, Hauck brought in Josh Swogger from Washington State. Bergquist crumbled and lost out and almost transferred. The following year, Bergquist beat out the JC transfer they brought in and was a two-year starter.

If you watch camp right now in Missoula, Hauck's staff are doing whatever he can to make it impossible for Ah Yat. The last time I was down there, he could not move the ball whatsoever. The Griz were blitzing relentlessly and the offensive staff was quite pissed. It was hilarious. This does not make Hauck irresponsible as much as antiquated and stubborn. You can argue that he's flawed in this way of thinking and I would fully agree. But again, Bobby has NO intention of winning with his quarterback. He has told me and the media this many times. He wants the QB to be a cog in his machine.

I would probably rephrase my comment about the MSU situation if given a chance to have another take. Live is live and unlike writing (which I much prefer), you sometimes slip. Irresponsible is probably too strong a word.

But to me, it's very clear that neither Reed or Wilson is ready to play in big games. Given the offense MSU runs and the makeup and history of Mellott, you have to have someone who is ready to play in a big game. And every person I know who has watched spring and fall ball from the MSU side of things agrees.

Are you going to get another Sean Chambers? No. Are you going to get an all-conference caliber QB to backup Tommy? Hell no. The vast majority of the league can't even get a good quarterback to be its starter! But I do think you could bring in a veteran who could have command of an offense and get a squad in and out of things. Like a Cam Humphrey for the Griz a few years back. Guys like Jake Bleskin and Quinn McQueary were both more ready than what MSU currently has.

Maybe those guys will rapidly accelerate if called upon. If either Wilson or Reed is called upon, they will have to if MSU is going to fulfill its lofty expectations this season.
I suspect what msu would do in the event of an extended absence for Tommy is run wilson and be a run heavy team with a bunch of iso 50/50 balls when the box gets too heavy. Ala Tommy on thy frisco run. That would probably require less change to the offense than going from Tommy to reed.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:44 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:48 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:31 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:53 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:22 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:21 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:14 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2024 3:29 pm
Colter, I’m curious. You said it was irresponsible for MSU to not bring in a transfer QB because they don’t have a backup. I have multiple questions.

1) Why don’t you think Jordan Reed is good?

2) Why is Fife automatically viewed as better than Reed?

3) What starter quality QB is going to transfer to MSU where they have an established starting QB, and the only chance they’d play is in case of injury or blow out?
We will hash this out on the next podcast....but short answers:

1 - there's a big difference between "good" and ready. I do not think Jordan Reed is ready. I thought he held on to the ball too long during the spring game and the word is that his command of a huddle, his ability to get in and out of things is limited. Part of that might be a new offensive coordinator. But one of the top factors to Montana State's success is either Tommy Mellott staying healthy or Reed/Chance Wilson making a big jump. For what it's worth, Wilson has been operating the No. 2 offense the last week.

2 - I also do not think Fife is ready> I think he makes quite a few risky decisions and turns the ball over much more than the head coach he plays for will allow. I'm of the opinion that Clifton McDowell was an average at best quarterback....but he could run the ball effectively and he never turned the ball over. That's one of the main reasons Montana made a run last year.

3 - Montana State added a player who started in the FBS when they added Sean Chambers. And it saved their bacon on multiple occasions.

Love the questions! I'm pasting them in a doc and Tootell and I, + Mike Rider and I will address them in future episodes in the next week or so. Please keep asking!
Thanks for the response!

1) I would counter that you can’t become ready until you’re put in a position to be ready. If they continually bring in transfer QB’s, they won’t develop the ones they recruit. I actually think Bobby is a perfect example of this. Ah Yat could be the first QB that goes from HS recruit to starter since…Bergquist?

2) If you say that Fife isn’t ready, and that Reed isn’t ready, it hardly seems fair to say that MSU/Vigen was irresponsible in their QB room. I actually think the situations are similar, both universities have inexperienced backups but one could argue that MSU has more in terms of experience due to longevity, and it’s not like Reed, Wilson, and Duchien are lacking in talent. To clarify, I don’t have a problem with saying Reed isn’t ready, more in how you framed it. MSU was irresponsible because they didn’t bring in a transfer? By logic, is Hauck not irresponsible because he largely refuses to get quality HS QB recruits or allow them to develop? Yet you don’t use that kind of language with Hauck. Just my observation.

3) Chambers came to play for his former OC/QB coach after he got benched at Wyoming. It was a different, and unique circumstance that isn’t easily replicated.
The No. 1 thing to understand when comparing the Cats & the Griz or comparing the Griz to anyone is that Bobby Hauck does not depend on the quarterback to win like the vast majority of other modern football organizations. In fact, it's almost as if he wants to prove to the world that he can win a national championship IN SPITE of his quarterback....

It wouldn't matter if Hauck had Tommy Mellott or DeNarius McGhee or whoever....he would bring in a transfer every single year to compete with that person. Bergquist was a starter as a redshirt freshman after Jason Washington fell apart and led Montana to the playoffs down the stretch of an otherwise pretty mediocre 2005 season. The following year, instead of letting Bergquist be an incumbent and potentially four-year starter, Hauck brought in Josh Swogger from Washington State. Bergquist crumbled and lost out and almost transferred. The following year, Bergquist beat out the JC transfer they brought in and was a two-year starter.

If you watch camp right now in Missoula, Hauck's staff are doing whatever he can to make it impossible for Ah Yat. The last time I was down there, he could not move the ball whatsoever. The Griz were blitzing relentlessly and the offensive staff was quite pissed. It was hilarious. This does not make Hauck irresponsible as much as antiquated and stubborn. You can argue that he's flawed in this way of thinking and I would fully agree. But again, Bobby has NO intention of winning with his quarterback. He has told me and the media this many times. He wants the QB to be a cog in his machine.

I would probably rephrase my comment about the MSU situation if given a chance to have another take. Live is live and unlike writing (which I much prefer), you sometimes slip. Irresponsible is probably too strong a word.

But to me, it's very clear that neither Reed or Wilson is ready to play in big games. Given the offense MSU runs and the makeup and history of Mellott, you have to have someone who is ready to play in a big game. And every person I know who has watched spring and fall ball from the MSU side of things agrees.

Are you going to get another Sean Chambers? No. Are you going to get an all-conference caliber QB to backup Tommy? Hell no. The vast majority of the league can't even get a good quarterback to be its starter! But I do think you could bring in a veteran who could have command of an offense and get a squad in and out of things. Like a Cam Humphrey for the Griz a few years back. Guys like Jake Bleskin and Quinn McQueary were both more ready than what MSU currently has.

Maybe those guys will rapidly accelerate if called upon. If either Wilson or Reed is called upon, they will have to if MSU is going to fulfill its lofty expectations this season.
I suspect what msu would do in the event of an extended absence for Tommy is run wilson and be a run heavy team with a bunch of iso 50/50 balls when the box gets too heavy. Ala Tommy on thy frisco run. That would probably require less change to the offense than going from Tommy to reed.
I’m curious what every one has seen in Wilson that makes him impressive. I’ve watched him in about four or five scrimmages and he doesn’t seem to be any better than Patrick Duchien right now. I guess I’m missing something.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:09 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Care to expound on that statement? What makes you say that? Is there something he did that opened your eyes?
All accounts are positive from knowledgeable football sources. To the layman he just looks superior athletically. He is running with the main rotation of corners. His speed, quickness and agility jump out at you. He’s looks comfortable and fluid, which tells me he’s taken to his coaching and not just relied on his athleticism prior to arriving. He didn’t get beat while I was watching. His man (transfer King, who is drawing raves himself) caught a pass but it was a good pass and nearly impossible to stop. His footwork and positioning were excellent as I didn’t see him stumble or lose his balance.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:09 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:37 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
All accounts are positive from knowledgeable football sources. To the layman he just looks superior athletically. He is running with the main rotation of corners. His speed, quickness and agility jump out at you. He’s looks comfortable and fluid, which tells me he’s taken to his coaching and not just relied on his athleticism prior to arriving. He didn’t get beat while I was watching. His man (transfer King, who is drawing raves himself) caught a pass but it was a good pass and nearly impossible to stop. His footwork and positioning were excellent as I didn’t see him stumble or lose his balance.
I’m sure he can compete athletically, but how’s he going to hold up when they go live? He’s listed at 157 lbs. Gonna be tough to tackle at that weight.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:16 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:26 pm
catatac wrote:

I was not surprised when Tommy Mellott broke out in 2021. And that entirely stemmed from talking to Troy Andersen, Ty Okada, Daniel Hardy, Chase Benson, Lance McCutcheon, Lewis Kidd etc. Every single one of them mentioned Tommy's pace-setting work ethic, drive, aptitude and maturity before he ever became the starter. He was the hero of the Idaho game (besides Troy) and that was several weeks before he was named the starter. The internal scuttle for the last 2/3 of the season that year was that Matt McKay was what was holding them back.

I was also not surprised when Jake Bleskin, Dakota Prukop and even Chris Murray were ready as young guys. Guys who are ready tend to shred the 2nd, 3rd and scout team defenses consistently. Dakota Prukop had a legend internally for two years before he snared the job. The entire defense used to call him "Dak Live" and they all KNEW he was going to be the guy when there was that QB competition including Prukop, Bleskin, McQueary and Roderick.

Jordan Johnson at Montana was so clearly ready to be the guy the entire season before he took over as the starter as a sophomore. Chris Murray was toasting the defense Choate's first year before he ever got game snaps. Then in his first game action, he rushed for 187 yards and three touchdowns, including a pair of 58 yard scores.

In this year's spring game, you saw Reed against the 2 and 3 defense, Wilson against the mostly 3 defense. Neither looked superior or even on par with their level of competition. Maybe it was a small sample size. I will admit, I have only seen five total live sessions involving them outside of games over the last year or so. But all sources across the board that I talk to regularly that see MSU on a daily or almost daily basis have similar evaluations. And if the narrative around you from an internal and external perspective is not that you are constantly giving the defense headaches, it's unlikely you're ready.

Again, the point that young quarterbacks can't be ready until they are thrown in the fire is a good and fine one. But if you aren't slaying the daily competition, it's hard to develop confidence internally and externally. I'm talking in generalities now, not about those two young men.
This was my experience in talking to regular viewers today as well. No one was high on any of the backups. Reed draws compliments on his mechanics and throws but the knock on him was that the ball doesn’t always go where he’s aiming. The center(s) had some bad snaps and that never helps.

toM StUber