Will the Tough Economy Force BSC Changes?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BozCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Will the Tough Economy Force BSC Changes?

Post by BozCatFan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:47 pm

I am wondering if the tough economic times and rapidly rising costs of operating an Athletic Department would make it more inviting for the BSC to see the return of schools like Gonzaga and Idaho to the conference? I have to think that playing in the Big Sky might increase attendance (closer rivalries) and travel would be a lot easier.

It seems that the footprint of the BSC is too large.

The other question is whether the travel costs might improve our MBB pre-conference opponents...might we see some closer teams like Utah State, the Dakotas, Washington State, Boise State etc? It might improve attendance playing a more attractive list of opponents. I'm sure UM would see the same benefits.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Will the Tough Economy Force BSC Changes?

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:50 pm

BozCatFan wrote:I am wondering if the tough economic times and rapidly rising costs of operating an Athletic Department would make it more inviting for the BSC to see the return of schools like Gonzaga and Idaho to the conference? I have to think that playing in the Big Sky might increase attendance (closer rivalries) and travel would be a lot easier.

It seems that the footprint of the BSC is too large.

The other question is whether the travel costs might improve our MBB pre-conference opponents...might we see some closer teams like Utah State, the Dakotas, Washington State, Boise State etc? It might improve attendance playing a more attractive list of opponents. I'm sure UM would see the same benefits.
Two teams we played this year... We have played both NDSU and SDSU in the past 5 years... Also, it's not exactly cheaper to play teams closer to us geographically. I think 400 miles is the cutoff point for bussing the team to games. Then we have to fly, and it is cheaper to fly to major metro areas like like SO Cal/Seattle/Portland/Denver than it is to Brookings, SD or Grand Forks, ND.

Additionally, there is no way Gonzaga returns to the BSC. Why would they move from a nationally competitve Mid-Major conference (WCC) to a virtual non-factor conference like the Big Sky? Add to that the fact that they don't have a football program, which is aa prerequisite for membership in the Big Sky. Idaho has also stated they have no interest in ever moving back to the FCS for fooball, which makes them a no-go as well for moving back to the Big Sky.

If the BSC really wanted to cut travel costs, they would have cut NAU and Sac State out a long time ago. Cutting NAU would be a shame, as they continually field quality teams in all sports. I would not be against Sac State getting booted, though. Rumor has it they may not be in this conference much longer anyhow.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:40 pm

I agree with G8r. And NAU has been a member since 1970. The only way they're leaving is by their own accord.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

msusportsinfo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msusportsinfo » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:25 pm

I don't think the conference is at the place yet where they would be looking at adding/dropping schools for economic measures. There has, however been some talk about how we do our championships and travel to make it more economical for schools. I am sure they are looking at a number of things, but these are the issues I've heard about so far.