Rodeo Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bcats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Rodeo Question

Post by bcats » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:48 am

I was currently trying to excite a co-worker about MSU athletics and he is a rodeo guy so we were looking at the MSU Athletics website and couldn't find anything about rodeo. We then checked out other Universities and none of them include rodeo with their athletic website. I got to wondering why this is since they are scholarshipped athletes.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

rtb

Re: Rodeo Question

Post by rtb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 am

bcats wrote:I was currently trying to excite a co-worker about MSU athletics and he is a rodeo guy so we were looking at the MSU Athletics website and couldn't find anything about rodeo. We then checked out other Universities and none of them include rodeo with their athletic website. I got to wondering why this is since they are scholarshipped athletes.
They are not an NCAA sanctioned sport, they are a club sport. The reason for this is if you are an NCAA athlete you have to be an amateur in your sport and most rodeo guys need/want to participate in the PRCA rodeos as a professional during the summer. As a club sport that isn't sanctioned by the NCAA they are allowed to do that. Also, I believe all their funding for scholarships etc come from an entirely different budget then the NCAA sports. Most likely they are funded entirely by private donations.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:57 am

Collegiate Rodeo teams are not sanctioned by the NCAA which is why you won't find info on them. They are technically a club team as their athletes do compete in other rodeos and do win money from those rodeos. MSU Rodeo is sanctioned under NIRA and the women finished the season in first for the region and the men in second. You can find more info on them at http://www.montana.edu/rodeo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 am

What rtb said. I started my post and got a phone call...damn work getting in the way of things.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.