Back from Flagstaff

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mchammer
BobcatNation Team Captain

Back from Flagstaff

Post by mchammer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 am

Our women were fourth, our men 6th. This flip-flopped predictions. NAU's men set a record point total, and their women won a closer scoring contest with SAC. Their men managed a 1-2-3-4-5 sweep of the 5000, becoming the second team to sweep an event so deep. Our men were actually close to third, as four teams scored very close. Ellie won her 7th vault title. She is set to become the first track athlete in BSC history to win an event eight times, four indoors, and four outdoors. Alli Jones won the shot to become the fourth Jones from Harlowton to win a BSC track title. Kevin Ludwig won the triple jump.

There were some unusual circumstances, like the men's 5000 champ cartwheeling over the finish line, which drew formal protests. he was not disqualified for poor sportsmanship, but a call had to be made to the NCAA rules people for guidance. The pole vault crossbar was displaced during a jump, but actually landed on a higher set of pegs. It was ruled a miss. A long jumper was exiting the back of the pit but stepped back in when he felt a twinge in his ankle. This was ruled a foul. Our meet referee has handled the championships for ten years now, and still is surprised at every championship with new questions.

NAU did a good job organizing and officiating the meet. We outscored UM on both sides.

Mike Carignan

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Back from Flagstaff

Post by gtapp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Mike:

Question about Ellie. She did great, again. She won the NCAA meet the last couple of years at about 14'. Is that at the beginning of the outdoot season. I was just wondering why she is not progressing throughout the outdoor season and why she seems a ways away from that mark so far this year. After her experiece at the US Olympic trials last year I was hoping for about 14'6" this year. She is still the best but I am curious what your expectations are for her this year.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:39 pm

That's a good question. I'm not her coach, but I have a few observations. Maybe she has competed better indoors because of our weather. Practice conditions are not nearly as ideal outdoors, making it harder to get the reps in. Also, she is a very serious student, under more pressure later in the semester. 14-6 looked possible last year and will again this year.

Mike

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:58 pm

"We outscored UM on both sides."

Kudos to both the men's and women's track teams for their excellent indoor seasons and for beating UM at the Conference Indoor Championships.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:54 pm

You finished 4th and 6th, but you're proud of finally beating UM at something? Congratulations. That's quite a juggernaut of an athletic program you got there.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:16 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:You finished 4th and 6th, but you're proud of finally beating UM at something? Congratulations. That's quite a juggernaut of an athletic program you got there.
Look stupid, 4th and 6th is better than 8th and 7th........................ :roll:

Men's Team Rankings
1. Northern Arizona, 184
2. Idaho State, 86
3. Eastern Washington, 81.50
4. Weber State, 81
5. Sacramento State, 70
6. Montana State, 69.50
7. Montana, 39
8. Northern Colorado, 28
9. Portland State, 23

Women's Team Rankings
1. Northern Arizona, 116.50
2. Sacramento State, 108.50
3. Weber State, 106
4. Montana State, 77
5. Idaho State, 76
6. Northern Colorado, 57
7. Eastern Washington, 48
8. Montana, 39
9. Portland State, 35

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:17 pm

mchammer wrote: There were some unusual circumstances, like the men's 5000 champ cartwheeling over the finish line, which drew formal protests. he was not disqualified for poor sportsmanship, but a call had to be made to the NCAA rules people for guidance.
He should have been disqualified. No question about it. That sort of sportsmanship (or lack thereof) should not be tolerated.
The pole vault crossbar was displaced during a jump, but actually landed on a higher set of pegs. It was ruled a miss.
I disagree with that rule. As long as the bar stayed up on the pegs, the jump should count.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Look stupid, 4th and 6th is better than 8th and 7th
No doubt. But is 4th and 6th something to be proud of, simply because you finally beat Montana at what is unarguably their worst sport year in and year out?

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:47 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
No doubt. But is 4th and 6th something to be proud of, simply because you finally beat Montana at what is unarguably their worst sport year in and year out?
Absolutely!! Any win over the fizz is good, no matter what sport. Go Cats!!

BTW, FTG!

FTG!!

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:09 pm

GrizinWashington wrote:
We beat you in every meet this year. This is the second time that I've reminded you of that. Write it down!

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:53 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
We beat you in every meet this year. This is the second time that I've reminded you of that. Write it down!

Well, then I'd be writing a lie. The Griz women won the 1/30 dual.

This, though, highlights the difference between the two athletic programs. Griz fans would be disappointed with 4th and 6th place finishes no matter whom we beat.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
GrizinWashington wrote:
Is 'writing' a required course at dUMb outside of the 'journalism' :lol: :lol: curriculum?
:unsure:

FTG!!

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:55 am

Outscoring UM is significant because we respect their team. Fourth isn't bad out of nine. It was a fair competition and we gave it all we had. We have won four championships in this decade, one by 56 points at Flagstaff. Our program knows how to win, and how to accept defeat. What we are proud of is the fact that we represent Montana.

Mike Carignan

MaZooLaGriz
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by MaZooLaGriz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:27 am

mchammer wrote:Outscoring UM is significant because we respect their team. What we are proud of is the fact that we represent Montana. ...Mike Carignan
Cool.

Everything is always on its way somewhere.

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks. I think that one thing hurts UM, and that is that they can't host an indoor meet. So they are traveling every week throughout the indoor season. We got to stay at home for five of our seven competitions.

Good comment on Ellie's illness. It has been a factor. There's this cold going around that is accompanied with a cough, and it really lingers.

Good point on the rulings at conference. But I have to agree with the rulings. Track and field rules are a tangle. For example, when the wind shifts do you turn the pits around and vault from the opposite direction? Doing so gives an advantage. Not doing so can be hazardous. One flight or heat may compete in perfect conditions, while another gets hailed on. Do you restart a race in this situation? Wind is a big factor, and you have to accept inequities at times. There are a lot of difficult calls. It's much simpler indoors.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:57 pm

mchammer wrote:
Good point on the rulings at conference. But I have to agree with the rulings. Track and field rules are a tangle. For example, when the wind shifts do you turn the pits around and vault from the opposite direction? Doing so gives an advantage. Not doing so can be hazardous. One flight or heat may compete in perfect conditions, while another gets hailed on. Do you restart a race in this situation? Wind is a big factor, and you have to accept inequities at times. There are a lot of difficult calls. It's much simpler indoors.
Really? You think that guy should have still been awarded despite his total lack of sportsmanship? I don't.

-Singlefin Yellow

mchammer

Post by mchammer » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:05 pm

I think it was decided that the runners celebration was not intended to taunt or belittle. But I can see how it could be taken that way, and you may be correct that he should have been DQ'd. The meet referee decided otherwise though.