Dave Gantt new HC of Gonzaga volleyball

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Dave Gantt new HC of Gonzaga volleyball

Post by longhorn_22 » Mon May 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Former MSU volleyball head coach Dave Gantt is the new head volleyball coach at Gonzaga. Good luck, Dave!
SPOKANE -- David Gantt, former head women’s volleyball coach at both Montana State University and Oregon State University, was named the fifth head coach at Gonzaga University.

Gantt replaces Kip Yoshimura, who resigned December 4th after seven seasons at the helm.

“Everyone we spoke with had nothing but praise for Dave,” Roth said. “The more the process evolved, the more people we talked to, the more it became clear we were getting a highly-respected coach in Dave Gantt. Obviously, he has a Division I background and knows the area well.”

Gantt, who most recently was an adjunct professor at Montana State and a collegiate volleyball official, was the head volleyball coach at Montana State for nine seasons, from 1994-02, compiling a 159-96 record for a .624 winning percentage, including a 72-64 Big Sky Conference record for a .529 winning percentage.

“First of all, I am so excited and humbled,” stated Gantt. “It is a special situation where my experience and organization was able to override my absence from the game. The administration staff sees clearly that my plan is to get Gonzaga volleyball where we need it to be. I don’t think there would be a better fit for me personally. It is mutually beneficial that Gonzaga has gracefully allowed me this opportunity.”

Gantt previously served as head coach at Oregon State from 1991-93. During his two-year stint with the Beavers, Gantt led OSU to a 29-36 mark in the Pacific 10 Conference, which is considered one of the best volleyball leagues in the country.

Gantt will retain Abby Bennett, assistant coach for the Bulldogs the past two seasons and former player from 2000-03. He will begin an immediate search for his first assistant.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Dave Gantt new HC of Gonzaga volleyball

Post by GOKATS » Mon May 04, 2009 1:12 pm

Good luck, Dave!!! Great guy and a great coach. =D^ =D^

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

BwanaCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BwanaCat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:04 pm

Good luck to Coach Gantt. I believe he will do well at Gonzaga.

That all being said, it seems that we don't hear too much from Coach Sara regarding the volleyball program. MSU was an up & coming VB program when Dave Gantt left but it has been in a downward spiral ever since. I think the jury is still out for another two years as to whether or not Sara can win at MSU. MSU volleyball is sure to be better this year and certainly more fun to watch. GO CATS!

Maybe Coach Sara will send BN some new information from her blog....

BgCATfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BgCATfan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:00 am

Here's a picture of my daughter and two other Belgrade girls that attended the Gonzaga Volleyball camp earlier this month. My daughter Taylor (in the middle) is entering the eighth grade and the other two; Dylan (left, daughter of Sarah and Dewey Fowler) and Jordan Porter (daughter of Jen and Cody porter will be freshman at Belgrade. Jordans mom Jen is the JV coach at Belgrade.

Dave was very nice and gave the Belgrade girls a special introduction at the beginning of the camp and visited with us a long time. Super guy and he's VERY happy to be where he's at.

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Yeah, Dave is a great guy on top of being and excellent coach. Had the pleasure of taking a class that he taught here. I wish him all the best.