Patrick Casey advances to NCAA Finals

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bpcats
Member # Retired

Re: Patrick Casey advances to NCAA Finals

Post by bpcats » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Casey just finished 3rd at the NCAA finals in the mile =D^ =D^ =D^

Casey led the first 2.5 laps before Lee Emanuel (last years winner ran 3:59) passed everybody up like they were standing there. Casey finished up strong and came close to placing second. Not bad for a freshman. He ran a 4:01:87, 2nd place ran a 4:01:62 runner from Oregon. Fastest qualifying mark going into the finals was 4:02:95.

Not bad for being the last person to qualify on the last weekend, and last person to qualify for the finals.

He gets to be an all-american

mchammer
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by mchammer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:33 pm

This is a big deal.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Nice! Hopefully he can be an NCAA individual champion sometime in the next 3 years. Congrats Patrick!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:08 pm

A huge CONGRATULATIONS to Patrick!!!!!!!!!

=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:02 pm

From MSU-

Long-time Montana State track and field coach Dale Kennedy targeted a top eight finish for Bobcat miler Patrick Casey in this weekend’s NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark.

As it turns out, Kennedy was shooting low.

Casey stayed within striking distance throughout the race before succumbing to defending and current national champion Lee Emanuel of New Mexico, who finished in 3:59.26. In a duel between a pair of fantastic freshmen, Oregon’s Mac Fleet out-kicked Casey to the wire for second place (4:01.63), while Casey grabbed third (4:01.87).

“Patrick went in as the 10th seed and finished third, so that is a very strong weekend,” Kennedy said. “He’s such a strong competitor, and he competed very well this weekend. I think he represented our University and the state of Montana in a first-class manner.”

Casey ran in front for the first quarter-mile, and was right on target with a 1:00.45 split. Emanuel made his move near the half-mile mark, darting to the front and capturing a 10-yard lead with a split of 2:02.93. Ohio State’s Jeff See temporarily moved into second, but Casey passed him in seemingly effortless fashion.

Casey was the only runner within striking distance of front-running Emanuel, and the thought entered the Laurel native’s mind to chase the national champ. “He went by me at the point in the race where it really starts to hit you how tired you are,” Casey said. “I tried to run with him for a while, but I didn’t want to jeopardize the chance to become an All-America. I was running as hard as I could, and there wasn’t a lot I could do about (Fleet’s closing kick).”

Kennedy put it more succinctly. “He ran a very smart race, much smarter than in the trials. He took a great run at (winning), but I think it was a very intelligent race on his part.”

Casey caps his initial indoor season by becoming the first Bobcat man to earn All-America honors since Lyle Weese, now an MSU assistant, in 2003. He becomes the first Bobcat male to capture All-America honors in the mile and as a freshman.

In addition to making history, Casey said the experience of competing at this weekend’s NCAA Championships is valuable experience. “I’ve been running a lot of strategic races this season,” he said. “I’m trying to develop a strategy that doesn’t involve me getting in trouble in the back of the pack. It was great, a lot of fun, and it was a great learning experience. I don’t know if (becoming an All-America) has sunk in yet, but I know I can still improve. That’s the best feeling.”

Men’s Mile - Finals
1 Lee Emanuel SR New Mexico 3:59.26 10
2 Mac Fleet FR Oregon 4:01.63 8
3 Patrick Casey FR Montana State 4:01.87 6
4 A.J. Acosta SR Oregon 4:02.27 5
5 Riley Masters SO Maine 4:04.29 4
6 Jeff See SR Ohio State 4:04.34 3
7 Rob Mullett SR Butler 4:04.63 2
8 Dylan Ferris SO Stanford 4:04.73 1
9 Eric Harasyn JR Oklahoma 4:04.94
10 Abdi Hassan SO Arizona 4:05.36

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:14 pm

Atta boy Patrick! =D^ =D^ =D^