Why Play Tommy?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Why Play Tommy?

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:46 pm

I know Vigen said Tommy is "available" vs Cal Poly but he's "not sure what that will look like"...but if we think this is going to be an easy win...and it seems like nearly every Cat fan does...why not let Tommy rest one more week and heal?

Perhaps Vigen wants to get him reps before we head into the brutal stretch to close out the season so he's not too rusty? It just seems bizarre to me to play him in a game where it seems like we won't need him. Thoughts?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Why Play Tommy?

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:55 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:46 pm
I know Vigen said Tommy is "available" vs Cal Poly but he's "not sure what that will look like"...but if we think this is going to be an easy win...and it seems like nearly every Cat fan does...why not let Tommy rest one more week and heal?

Perhaps Vigen wants to get him reps before we head into the brutal stretch to close out the season so he's not too rusty? It just seems bizarre to me to play him in a game where it seems like we won't need him. Thoughts?
I think your 2nd paragraph is likely correct. He's missed over a month of football and Vigen probably wants to get him back up to game speed and shake the rust off. If he wasn't 100% healed then I'm sure he wouldn't play, given it's Cal Poly and also Chambers has been playing well.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:56 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:46 pm

Because Tommy hasn’t played since South Dakota State. Practice is great but it isn’t the same as playing in a game.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:05 pm

Tommy needs to knock the dust off, best to do it against Cal Poly.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:00 pm

We also want to keep Sean healthy. Strategically inserting Tommy so not only does he get needed reps but also Sean gets a rest after all those 80+ yard touchdown runs.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

MSUBRONCO

Post by MSUBRONCO » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:03 pm

Why not play tommy if he's ready? Is my take

catsandcanes
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsandcanes » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:54 pm

Uh because he is the most dynamic player on the team. Because we are a better team when he plays. He gives us more options. He is the starting quarterback. If he’s healthy why shouldn’t he play…..

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:59 pm

Every injury is different too. Some injuries need as much rest as possible to get back to 100%. If Tommy is at 75% and another week would get him to 90%, I think they'd rest him. If he's at 100% (or as close as he'll get in the next month), might as well play him and let him knock some rust off. There's no reason to force it, and that's exactly why they're going to play him...because they're not forcing it.

Bzncarolinacat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bzncarolinacat » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:50 pm

Few reps wouldn’t hurt. Just no running vs a team we will beat by 40+

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:21 am

Also we have a couple of our RB's out this week as well. Give Tommy 8 knee braces and let him free!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:22 am

CatfaninGA wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:21 am
Also we have a couple of our RB's out this week as well. Give Tommy 8 knee braces and let him free!
Who is out besides Lane and Humphrey? AKA it's the same lineup we've been using for most of the season - Davis, White, Elliot.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:49 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:22 am
CatfaninGA wrote:
Who is out besides Lane and Humphrey? AKA it's the same lineup we've been using for most of the season - Davis, White, Elliot.
I would play Tommy this week in a limited number of plays to get him up to game speed. I would start Chambers and go for the juggler early and get Tommy some QB action. Maybe give him the second half action depending on how we’re playing. But, this is a great game to see how he’s healed up.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 am

CelticCat wrote:
CatfaninGA wrote:
Davis has been limited. Not sure what's going on there or it's still a problem.

SparkCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by SparkCat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:24 am

CatBot wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 am
CelticCat wrote:
CatfaninGA wrote:
Davis has been limited. Not sure what's going on there or it's still a problem.
Davis is an absolute weapon and down hill runner, being riddled with injuries since his senior year in high school im sure they are doing all they can to keep him healthy, if he has a little ding during a game they will sit him.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:48 am

I'm gonna go ahead and play devil's advocate and give a few reasons why he shouldn't play, even if he's ready or close to ready:

-- Injury: There is no denying that our offense is more dynamic when Tommy is on the field. But let's be honest - Tommy has a propensity of being injured. I think another poster mentioned that he's missed over 30% of the playing time he's been eligible for due to injury. Tommy will be really needed when we play Sac State, Idaho, and others. Do we really need to risk something else happening to him in a game like Poly?
-- Rust: Yeah, maybe there might be some, but come on - it's not like he's a forty year old dude playing in his first rec league softball game for the first time in 5 years. Tommy is a 20-year-old, highly tuned collegiate athlete who last played in game one month ago. One month; not a year or entire fall camp or an off-season. One month. If there's any rust, it probably would be knocked off in one series of plays.
-- Game planning: why let Tommy run out there for the Poly game and basically announce to Sac State that he's back? Why not continue to keep Sac State in the dark and force them to gameplan just for Sean? And then run Tommy out there as starter and completely throw SSU for a loop? Just thinking out loud...
-- QB Development: As much fun as it would be to see Tommy out there for Poly, I really see this game as an opportunity to continue developing Jordan Reed. If we have a big lead at half like we're all thinking, it's time to give a lot of PT to Reed. Have Sean build the lead, and then let's watch what Jordan can do when given the reins.

I'm not trying to say Tommy should or shouldn't play. I'm not the coach; it ain't my call. Just a few reasons to consider giving Tommy an extra week.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:29 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:49 am
CelticCat wrote:
CatfaninGA wrote:
I would play Tommy this week in a limited number of plays to get him up to game speed. I would start Chambers and go for the juggler early and get Tommy some QB action. Maybe give him the second half action depending on how we’re playing. But, this is a great game to see how he’s healed up.
What the heck did the juggler do to you?!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:30 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:29 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:49 am
CelticCat wrote:
CatfaninGA wrote:
What the heck did the juggler do to you?!
If Cal Poly has jugglers on their team, that would explain why their defense is so bad.

I'll trust the coaches and training staff who have been keeping close track of Tommy's health for the last month to decide how much he should play on Saturday.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:32 am

You can’t not play because you’re worried about getting hurt. Some people aren’t put together in a way that makes them durable. Injuries really suck but are what weeds out some players. It is scary but you can’t function that way. Kinda depressing but it’s just the reality of it.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:42 pm

Yeah, take probably the most dynamic offensive weapon we have and tell him to sit on the bench. The kid is here to play, there are not that many opportunities. Things like that are why kids enter the transfer portal.

I'm not saying ride him like a rented mule, but if he is cleared by medical I don't see how you don't get him on the field.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:03 pm

I think its most easily summed up by; Vigen and this team don't overlook anyone. They respect all their opponents. Cal Poly may not look good on paper but this team 100% respects the Division 1 opponent showing up to Bobcat Stadium on Saturday.

Hating the griz since 02.