Fall Camp

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fall Camp

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:56 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:30 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:35 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:27 am
It feels like the way last season ended will have a HUGE impact on how the team performs this season. Guys have mentioned several times in interviews. Not just the loss to NDSU, but you could feel it several games prior to that. The team seemed to have lost its mojo. A slow start in Moscow that ended in a comeback that fell just short. A complete no-show in Missoula. A game against the Bison which the Bobcats seemingly controlled most of the game only to lose in the final few minutes and OT. Three losses in the final five games was not what they were looking for, nor expecting.

So, the question remains: does that motivate this team, which is full of already decorated seniors, to put that in the past and move forward towards the goal, or does that mediocrity from last season carry over to this season, kind of like it did under the final couple years under Coach Ash? You can say you've put last season behind you, but I think the team will use that as fire in their bellies. Starting with fall camp, it's time to put the foot on the accelerator and never let off...ever.
Another Mediocre season should put Vigen in the hot seat. This year's recruiting seems to be phenomenal though, I'd like to know whose in the recruiting office kicking ass.
Last year was mediocre? We were one of the final 16 teams playing, lost by 1 to a SF team, and should have won that game. We definitely could have beat USD and been in the SFs if we'd played a little differently against NDSU. We played some poor games, but the 6 seed and a crappy ending to the 2nd round game is far from mediocre.
We were 1 and done and gifted a 6th seed.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:04 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:43 pm
LOL, Vigen will absolutely not be on the "hot seat" after this season unless it's a complete disaster and the Bobcats are well under 500. High expectations are fine but let's be realistic here, he has won a ton of games and by all accounts is doing a great job of recruiting and building the program for long-term success instead of over-relying on transfer portal quick fixes.
You can win a bunch of games but its the important ones that count and Vigen has lost a lot of them since the "run". I'd even venture to say he lost them all last year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:14 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:35 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
It feels like the way last season ended will have a HUGE impact on how the team performs this season. Guys have mentioned several times in interviews. Not just the loss to NDSU, but you could feel it several games prior to that. The team seemed to have lost its mojo. A slow start in Moscow that ended in a comeback that fell just short. A complete no-show in Missoula. A game against the Bison which the Bobcats seemingly controlled most of the game only to lose in the final few minutes and OT. Three losses in the final five games was not what they were looking for, nor expecting.

So, the question remains: does that motivate this team, which is full of already decorated seniors, to put that in the past and move forward towards the goal, or does that mediocrity from last season carry over to this season, kind of like it did under the final couple years under Coach Ash? You can say you've put last season behind you, but I think the team will use that as fire in their bellies. Starting with fall camp, it's time to put the foot on the accelerator and never let off...ever.
Another Mediocre season should put Vigen in the hot seat. This year's recruiting seems to be phenomenal though, I'd like to know whose in the recruiting office kicking ass.
Last year was mediocre? We were one of the final 16 teams playing, lost by 1 to a SF team, and should have won that game. We definitely could have beat USD and been in the SFs if we'd played a little differently against NDSU. We played some poor games, but the 6 seed and a crappy ending to the 2nd round game is far from mediocre.
Compared to the rest of the FCS it was a very good season. Compared to expectations, I think it's fair to say it was mediocre. Or at least the last few games were. That good start got the Cats a 6 seed. I don't think Vigen should be on the hot seat right now AT ALL, because things happen. But this is a program that quite frankly needs to be in the top 8 at the very least every year, IMO.
If you’re only looking at the record it was mediocre. MSU had a great offense and the defense was great through the first 6/7 games. Going into the Idaho game I thought it was one of the best teams I’ve seen at MSU. MSU didn’t make a handful of plays that were there for the taking or they’d have been 11-1 after the first playoff game and hosting a quarterfinal game. Football (all sports) is weird sometimes and it just didn’t work out. MSU needs to show it can make the simple plays all the time to get to where they want to be.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:30 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:04 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:43 pm
LOL, Vigen will absolutely not be on the "hot seat" after this season unless it's a complete disaster and the Bobcats are well under 500. High expectations are fine but let's be realistic here, he has won a ton of games and by all accounts is doing a great job of recruiting and building the program for long-term success instead of over-relying on transfer portal quick fixes.
You can win a bunch of games but its the important ones that count and Vigen has lost a lot of them since the "run". I'd even venture to say he lost them all last year.
Somewhat agree here. I'd say last year was not what I would call a mediocre team but rather a National Championship caliber team that underperformed in the most important games. Yes we had a terrible luck of the draw and had to face the best teams in teams in the country on the road... but ultimately, we have to put all excuses aside and get it done to end up on top.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:52 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:56 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

We earned the 6 seed. We were 1 and done with no QBs to play late in the game and had a PAT blocked to lose. Mediocre to me would be a 7-4 regular season, winning round 1 then getting beat in round 2. As a fan base we have very high expectations. Doesn't mean our expectations make reality different. 8-3 and earning the 6 seed, then losing to one of the 4 best teams in the country isn't mediocre no matter how you slice it.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:14 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Compared to the rest of the FCS it was a very good season. Compared to expectations, I think it's fair to say it was mediocre. Or at least the last few games were. That good start got the Cats a 6 seed. I don't think Vigen should be on the hot seat right now AT ALL, because things happen. But this is a program that quite frankly needs to be in the top 8 at the very least every year, IMO.
If you’re only looking at the record it was mediocre. MSU had a great offense and the defense was great through the first 6/7 games. Going into the Idaho game I thought it was one of the best teams I’ve seen at MSU. MSU didn’t make a handful of plays that were there for the taking or they’d have been 11-1 after the first playoff game and hosting a quarterfinal game. Football (all sports) is weird sometimes and it just didn’t work out. MSU needs to show it can make the simple plays all the time to get to where they want to be.
I'm only looking at the final result. Knowing it's a great team doesn't win championships. I think we could all agree the ultimate measure of a team is results and not potential or even how your best games went early in the season. Knowing that team was great is what makes it more disappointing. I didn't say the team was mediocre, just the season. It's like beating Colorado and then losing to Chadron State the next week. That team could have beaten almost anybody but lost to a D-II team (albeit a good one). I doubt there's a player or coach at MSU who really hangs their hat on having talented teams, they hang their hat on having successful teams.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:59 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Yep. If you asked every player and every coach from last year's team, I am certain no one was happy with that season. We are beyond just a being a team happy to make the make playoffs, or even get a seed. With the talent on our team and the resources we have available, anything less than a semi-final appearance should be a disappointment. Did we have some good things happen last season? You bet. But this team has taken a little step backwards each season, going from a title appearance in 2021, to a semifinal appearance in 2022, to losing out in the 2nd round last year. And yes, we lost almost every big game when it mattered - SDSU, Idaho, dUMb, and NDSU. You could venture to say the only "quality" win we had was Sac State. It's time for Vigen to get this squad back on track for a title run.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:23 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:08 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:58 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

I'm only looking at the final result. Knowing it's a great team doesn't win championships. I think we could all agree the ultimate measure of a team is results and not potential or even how your best games went early in the season. Knowing that team was great is what makes it more disappointing. I didn't say the team was mediocre, just the season. It's like beating Colorado and then losing to Chadron State the next week. That team could have beaten almost anybody but lost to a D-II team (albeit a good one). I doubt there's a player or coach at MSU who really hangs their hat on having talented teams, they hang their hat on having successful teams.
If you're only looking at the record and didn't watch any games and have no context for the season at all, it was mediocre. But you'd think the people on here are smarter than that. If not, there's another fan board in the conference where the "mediocre" posters would fit right in.

There was one mediocre game and three other losses by a combined 6 points, all on the road, all against seeded playoff teams. Yes, we should have won those three games, and yes, they were very disappointing, but that doesn't mean it was a mediocre season.

Also, we lost the final game of our season to NDSU by 1 point in overtime. The last three times we played them we lost by 42, 28 and 28. We should have won but I'd call that progress.

It wasn't that long ago that we just wanted to make the playoffs and getting a playoff win was huge. Now we string a handful of good to really good seasons together and some fans get big heads and jump all the way to Championship or Bust. We aren't that kind of program (yet?) and very few realistically are. NDSU is not normal and this is the probably the last year SDSU can kind of say that before they drop back from being top 1-2 to the top 5 group. Regardless of wins and losses we're a top 5 program in the country. Now that NDSU isn't inevitable any more top 5 is enough to have a realistic shot at the title every year but those other 4 teams are really good so falling short to them doesn't mean we're mediocre or that the season was.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:09 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:59 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Yep. If you asked every player and every coach from last year's team, I am certain no one was happy with that season. We are beyond just a being a team happy to make the make playoffs, or even get a seed. With the talent on our team and the resources we have available, anything less than a semi-final appearance should be a disappointment. Did we have some good things happen last season? You bet. But this team has taken a little step backwards each season, going from a title appearance in 2021, to a semifinal appearance in 2022, to losing out in the 2nd round last year. And yes, we lost almost every big game when it mattered - SDSU, Idaho, dUMb, and NDSU. You could venture to say the only "quality" win we had was Sac State. It's time for Vigen to get this squad back on track for a title run.
The 2021 run has ruined a lot of fans.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:52 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

We earned the 6 seed. We were 1 and done with no QBs to play late in the game and had a PAT blocked to lose. Mediocre to me would be a 7-4 regular season, winning round 1 then getting beat in round 2. As a fan base we have very high expectations. Doesn't mean our expectations make reality different. 8-3 and earning the 6 seed, then losing to one of the 4 best teams in the country isn't mediocre no matter how you slice it.
If we had earned it we would have beaten the lower seed right? Oh, wait that's right they weren't even seeded.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:19 pm

Beat by an unseeded team in our house and everything is sunshine and rainbows....

I sure TF hope the team doesn't feel this way and I bet they don't. They better bring some attitude this fall.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:09 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

The 2021 run didn't ruin a thing for me. Quite the opposite. It showed me what this team and this program is capable of. Prior to 2021, I wasn't sure MSU would ever be capable of reaching the pinnacle again.

I don't think it's wrong at all to expect greatness from this program. It's your right, or any other fans' right, to be content with just winning records and playoff appearances. MSU puts more resources in terms of money, marketing, fan engagement, etc. than most teams in the FCS and probably some in the FBS. Our recruiting efforts are outstanding. I have no problem at all expecting this team to make title runs each season, and being bummed when we don't get there. I've been a fan for long time (40+ years), and I'll be damned if I am going back to being happy to just beat dUMb or maybe have a winning season. I like the trajectory of where this program is going, and I expect big things from them.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:37 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:08 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

If you're only looking at the record and didn't watch any games and have no context for the season at all, it was mediocre. But you'd think the people on here are smarter than that. If not, there's another fan board in the conference where the "mediocre" posters would fit right in.

There was one mediocre game and three other losses by a combined 6 points, all on the road, all against seeded playoff teams. Yes, we should have won those three games, and yes, they were very disappointing, but that doesn't mean it was a mediocre season.

Also, we lost the final game of our season to NDSU by 1 point in overtime. The last three times we played them we lost by 42, 28 and 28. We should have won but I'd call that progress.

It wasn't that long ago that we just wanted to make the playoffs and getting a playoff win was huge. Now we string a handful of good to really good seasons together and some fans get big heads and jump all the way to Championship or Bust. We aren't that kind of program (yet?) and very few realistically are. NDSU is not normal and this is the probably the last year SDSU can kind of say that before they drop back from being top 1-2 to the top 5 group. Regardless of wins and losses we're a top 5 program in the country. Now that NDSU isn't inevitable any more top 5 is enough to have a realistic shot at the title every year but those other 4 teams are really good so falling short to them doesn't mean we're mediocre or that the season was.
If you play well in every game and lose by 1 every time, that's a bad season with some promising things. I think as sports fans we don't care about those moral victories, except to give us hope about the future...which I think is a big deal.

I haven't seen anybody on here say championship or bust. I said top 8, and given the fact that the Cats have been ranked there most of the last few years at some point, that needs to be an expectation. Yes, there was a time when MSU was happy to make the playoffs. But at that time MSU didn't have some of the best facilities in the country and hadn't established itself as one of the best destinations for the best recruits in the FCS. I'm one of the most optimistic posters on here, but last season was a disappointment in the way it finished. I was in Brookings, and I was encouraged even after the heartbreaking loss. I was in Moscow and I was trying to tell all my friends things were going to be OK. I was in my seat for the end of the NDSU game, and although I was really proud of how the team played and competed, I left feeling like that's a game the Cats should have won.

Listen to how the players talk about the disappointment of last season. That comes across to me as on overall mediocre (at best) feeling about things finished up. Yes, it was a very talented team--a great team even. But we're talking about seasons, not teams. The team was good, the SEASON was mediocre. Because to me, when you talk about a season (which we are here) being good or mediocre, you're talking about a record and how far you make it in the playoffs. I don't know what other measure there is. If that team was not very good and shocked the world and made it within a point of beating NDSU, that would have been a very good season. But last year MSU was ranked #2 a good chunk of the season and to finish somewhere between 9 and 16 is not great.

But again, stuff happens. Snell getting hurt made a difference. Might have been some chemistry/locker room issues there, I don't know. I'm as high on Vigen as I was a year ago, so don't take this as me being down on what's going on at MSU. I'm still giving to the Quarterback Club, the IPF, and still buying my season tickets. But last season's RESULT was mediocre for what this program (and last year's very talented team) should be able to accomplish, in my opinion.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:22 pm

Last season had a disappointing finish, and we were clearly at minimum, a top 5 team at the end of the year. Anybody thinking Vigen should be on the hot seat is a moran.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:43 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:30 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:09 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

The 2021 run didn't ruin a thing for me. Quite the opposite. It showed me what this team and this program is capable of. Prior to 2021, I wasn't sure MSU would ever be capable of reaching the pinnacle again.

I don't think it's wrong at all to expect greatness from this program. It's your right, or any other fans' right, to be content with just winning records and playoff appearances. MSU puts more resources in terms of money, marketing, fan engagement, etc. than most teams in the FCS and probably some in the FBS. Our recruiting efforts are outstanding. I have no problem at all expecting this team to make title runs each season, and being bummed when we don't get there. I've been a fan for long time (40+ years), and I'll be damned if I am going back to being happy to just beat dUMb or maybe have a winning season. I like the trajectory of where this program is going, and I expect big things from them.
I guess that's what I mean by saying 2021 ruined a lot of fans. It sounds like an insult but it's not. I think people put on their gold colored glasses that December/January and just never took them off. There were a lot of unique circumstances that led to that team playing in Frisco that were just not repeatable (I've outlined these in the past). It was an amazing ride but it shouldn't have led people to expect us to be in the semis or Frisco every year no matter what. We should have beaten NDSU but that doesn't make the season a failure.

I'm definitely not a "just happy to be here" fan. As I wrote in my other comment, to kennethnoisewater, we should expect to be in the top 5 every year, which we still were regardless of where our final loss took place in the bracket. If we lose games to non-BSC/MVFC elite then we have something to worry about. It should matter who you lose to, not when. If we would have faced an east coast time that night and then played NDSU the next week and lost by 1 it wouldn't have made the season and better or worse.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:46 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:19 pm
Beat by an unseeded team in our house and everything is sunshine and rainbows....

I sure TF hope the team doesn't feel this way and I bet they don't. They better bring some attitude this fall.
Where are the sunshine and rainbows? Some of us just don't think losing close games (excluding Cat/griz of course) to the other elite FCS teams means we're in football purgatory.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:53 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:37 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:08 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

If you play well in every game and lose by 1 every time, that's a bad season with some promising things. I think as sports fans we don't care about those moral victories, except to give us hope about the future...which I think is a big deal.

I haven't seen anybody on here say championship or bust. I said top 8, and given the fact that the Cats have been ranked there most of the last few years at some point, that needs to be an expectation. Yes, there was a time when MSU was happy to make the playoffs. But at that time MSU didn't have some of the best facilities in the country and hadn't established itself as one of the best destinations for the best recruits in the FCS. I'm one of the most optimistic posters on here, but last season was a disappointment in the way it finished. I was in Brookings, and I was encouraged even after the heartbreaking loss. I was in Moscow and I was trying to tell all my friends things were going to be OK. I was in my seat for the end of the NDSU game, and although I was really proud of how the team played and competed, I left feeling like that's a game the Cats should have won.

Listen to how the players talk about the disappointment of last season. That comes across to me as on overall mediocre (at best) feeling about things finished up. Yes, it was a very talented team--a great team even. But we're talking about seasons, not teams. The team was good, the SEASON was mediocre. Because to me, when you talk about a season (which we are here) being good or mediocre, you're talking about a record and how far you make it in the playoffs. I don't know what other measure there is. If that team was not very good and shocked the world and made it within a point of beating NDSU, that would have been a very good season. But last year MSU was ranked #2 a good chunk of the season and to finish somewhere between 9 and 16 is not great.

But again, stuff happens. Snell getting hurt made a difference. Might have been some chemistry/locker room issues there, I don't know. I'm as high on Vigen as I was a year ago, so don't take this as me being down on what's going on at MSU. I'm still giving to the Quarterback Club, the IPF, and still buying my season tickets. But last season's RESULT was mediocre for what this program (and last year's very talented team) should be able to accomplish, in my opinion.
I agree with most of what you said except for your use of the word "mediocre". To me it was very disappointing, and heartbreaking in the moment when the ball didn't go through the uprights. We didn't lose by 1, 2 or 3 to PSU, Cal Poly or UNCU, we lost to NDSU, SDSU and Idaho. That's the difference to me between mediocre and disappointing.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:27 pm

Just to add a hot take to my various comments above, if the SDSU and Idaho games were in Bozeman last year I think we would have likely made it to Frisco. We would have won both games at home (the standard 3 point home advantage is probably too low for the FCS) and gone into Missoula undefeated. We still would have lost but not as badly. Then we would have just needed one of many plays to go differently against NDSU to win that game, which may have happened if we were coming in with one loss instead of three. At that point we win the revenge game in Missoula and roll over whoever the semis opponent was and fly to Frisco.

What I'm saying is that our "mediocre" season is largely a function of having by far the hardest road schedule in the country. You can say that elite teams win no matter where the game is played but that really only applies to dynastic teams, not elite. I'm not at all concerned about how this team performs with a more balanced schedule in 2024.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:28 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:46 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:19 pm

Where are the sunshine and rainbows? Some of us just don't think losing close games (excluding Cat/griz of course) to the other elite FCS teams means we're in football purgatory.
For real. I don't see anybody saying last year was a season to be happy about, but it sure wasn't mediocre by the definition of the word. As I said before, expectations don't equal reality. Can you imagine NDSU fans saying when they lost to SDSU in the title game 2 years ago that was a mediocre year??? Just because they are used to winning it all doesn't mean mediocroty changes for them. Mediocre - of moderate quality, not very good. Weber State's season last year was mediocre. The Cats season was not.