Discussing the Issues Removed

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Discussing the Issues Removed

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:26 am

Back when Bobcatnation had a forum for discussing the issues, stuff like this was setting that forum on fire. Because the issue was allowed to burn and grow instead of being denigrated and mocked in places like Bobcatnation (this isn't the only site that chickened out of the fight) this is today's update.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Discussing the Issues Removed

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:02 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:26 am
Back when Bobcatnation had a forum for discussing the issues, stuff like this was setting that forum on fire. Because the issue was allowed to burn and grow instead of being denigrated and mocked in places like Bobcatnation (this isn't the only site that chickened out of the fight) this is today's update.
=D^ =D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:57 am

Rich K wrote:
This story is getting a lot of action on social media. Maybe deservedly so....what are the facts?

From what I can gather, Imane Khelif from Algeria won the bout after Angela Carini of Italy tapped out 46 seconds into the first round.

Khelif has been competing in women's boxing for about 6 years. Has had 14 matches with a 9-5 record.

Khelif competed in the Tokyo Olympics without any controversy, losing to a fighter from ireland in the quarterfinals.

In 2023, Khelif was disqualified from the 2023 world championship of boxing for having elevated levels of testosterone. (Is that because s/he was born a male? Was s/he taking testosterone PED's? Does Khelif naturally produce more testosterone?)

Khelif won a silver medal at the 2022 world championships without any controversy.

The IBA (who disqualified Khelif) is notoriously corrupt.

IBA President UMAR Kremlin said DNA test result of Khelif "proved they had XY chromosomes". Khelif tried to appeal the findings, but later withdrew it.

Is there further evidence/facts out there?
Last edited by wbtfg on Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:07 am

Also seems odd that a conservative muslim nation like algeria would have a trans athlete. That doesn't really add up.

A quick google search tells me that a child can be born with XY chromosomes but also female genitalia. Could the at be a case here?

“Swyer syndrome
This intersex condition causes people to have XY chromosomes and female reproductive structures. People with Swyer syndrome have female external genitalia and some internal reproductive structures, like a uterus and fallopian tubes, but their gonads (ovaries or testes) don't develop. This is because variants of the SRY gene prevent the production of the sex-determining region Y protein, which is needed for testes to develop. People with Swyer syndrome usually won't go through puberty unless they take hormone replacement therapy.
Girls born with XY chromosomes
Some girls are born with XY chromosomes, but mutations in genes that control sexual development prevent male characteristics from being expressed. These girls can live as women and some can even give birth. “

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:05 pm

And how about the convicted child rapist volleyball player that is allowed to compete? Seems strange to me but what do I know. When my son told me about that I did a little research and it sounds like it was consensual, he was 19 and she was 12. For whatever that's worth.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:32 pm

Just stumbled across this tweet/ticktock that summarizes a lot of what I had posted above.

@Rich K and @RickRund, I’m interested to hear your thoughts on the video.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:57 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:32 pm

Just stumbled across this tweet/ticktock that summarizes a lot of what I had posted above.

You’re welcome to be confused if you insist on it.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 2:01 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:57 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 1:32 pm

You’re welcome to be confused if you insist on it.
I don’t know what that means. Can you clarify?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:57 am
Rich K wrote:
This story is getting a lot of action on far right social media. Maybe deservedly so....what are the facts?

From what I can gather, Imane Khelif from Algeria won the bout after Angela Carini of Italy tapped out 46 seconds into the first round.

Khelif has been competing in women's boxing for about 6 years. Has had 14 matches with a 9-5 record.

Khelif competed in the Tokyo Olympics without any controversy, losing to a fighter from ireland in the quarterfinals.

In 2023, Khelif was disqualified from the 2023 world championship of boxing for having elevated levels of testosterone. (Is that because s/he was born a male? Was s/he taking testosterone PED's? Does Khelif naturally produce more testosterone?)

Khelif won a silver medal at the 2022 world championships without any controversy.

IBA President UMAR Kremlin said DNA test result of Khelif "proved they had XY chromosomes". Khelif tried to appeal the findings, but later withdrew it.

Is this what you mean by far right media?

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/08/01/spor ... s-olympics

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/wireS ... -112476945

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news ... er-debate/

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/01/worl ... helif.html

It is interesting how every controversial subject to you is blamed on the far right media. (All of these examples above are left leaning media).

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:14 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:
This story is getting a lot of action on far right social media. Maybe deservedly so....what are the facts?

It is interesting how every controversial subject to you is blamed on the far right media. (All of these examples above are left leaning media).
Not sure why you want to make this about me. I first saw the story on twitter from Clay Travis, MTG and Lauren Boebert (who is doing a gofundme for the itilian boxer for some reason).

Any commentary on the subject at hand or do you want to just keep talking about me? Personally id rather focus on the issue, but im cool either way.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:43 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:28 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Not sure why you want to make this about me. I first saw the story on twitter from Clay Travis, MTG and Lauren Boebert (who is doing a gofundme for the itilian boxer for some reason).

Any commentary on the subject at hand or do you want to just keep talking about me? Personally id rather focus on the issue, but im cool either way.
You came out of the gates with the far right media comment. Just wanted to point out that all sides have covered this topic. But it is interesting how you specifically pointed out the far right. Is that a common theme with you?

As for the specific topic, I don’t know that this person is transgender, but there are questions around her/him’s biological identity. That makes participation in any sport with gender a question. Not Khelif’s fault, or the sports admins fault, but it is a biological question.

If Khelif is not transgender but rather a biological mystery, Khelif should sue any media or politician that called her a transgender. She has definitely been harmed by such categorizations.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:43 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

You came out of the gates with the far right media comment. Just wanted to point out that all sides have covered this topic. But it is interesting how you specifically pointed out the far right. Is that a common theme with you?

As for the specific topic, I don’t know that this person is transgender, but there are questions around her/him’s biological identity. That makes participation in any sport with gender a question. Not Khelif’s fault, or the sports admins fault, but it is a biological question.

If Khelif is not transgender but rather a biological mystery, Khelif should sue any media or politician that called her a transgender. She has definitely been harmed by such categorizations.
Lots of people are big mad about “a man competing in a woman’s sport“ when that doesn’t seem to be the case in this instance. You seem to have a more measured approach, and I appreciate that.

I’d still be interested in hearing @Rich K response to further facts on this topic.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:17 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:50 pm
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Lots of people are big mad about “a man competing in a woman’s sport“ when that doesn’t seem to be the case in this instance. You seem to have a more measured approach, and I appreciate that.

I’d still be interested in hearing @Rich K response to further facts on this topic.
Lots of people are big mad that some people don't want boys/men competing in girls/womens sports even if that may not be the case in this instance. When they open their response to a story by dishonestly framing the conversation (far-right media) it's hard to take them seriously.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:23 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:17 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Lots of people are big mad that some people don't want boys/men competing in girls/womens sports even if that may not be the case in this instance. When they open their response to a story by dishonestly framing the conversation (far-right media) it's hard to take them seriously.
I’ll edit that out of my initial response to hopefully make it easier to focus on the topic at hand.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:29 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:23 pm
coloradocat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

I’ll edit that out of my initial response to hopefully make it easier to focus on the topic at hand.
No need. It frames your position. Rich and Rick aren't hiding their starting point, you shouldn't either.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:31 pm

Fair enough @coloradocat. Any thoughts on the issue at hand?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:56 pm

wbtfg wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Just curious, but what are your thoughts about biological males at birth getting to compete against women?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:56 pm
wbtfg wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

Just curious, but what are your thoughts about biological males at birth getting to compete against women?
Is it okay as long as the biological man loses?

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:09 pm

What if the biological women want to compete against biological men?

Should they start a new classification just for biological men that are taking sufficient amounts of female hormones?

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:56 pm
wbtfg wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Rich K wrote:

That’s a good question. And there are a lot of “what if” scenarios, but generally I’m against it.

That said, I don’t think that’s the case in this specific topic @Rich K posted about.

In this case, I’m completely on board with the Algerian boxer competing.

You?