Fall Camp

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fall Camp

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:03 am

Lots of chatter about Caden Dowler working at safety when I was there on Friday. Tells me they have a lot of confidence in Jackson at Nickel, which as was mentioned by BBT and Colter is a key position in this defense. Also tells me they want to have both Jackson and Dowler on the field as much as possible. I don't think it means they're worried about the safety position, but probably just want the best players possible on the field. Obviously, it has value in terms of injuries. Polidore is likely to miss the first two games.

The safeties are Ortt and Steel at strong, and Polidore and Stillwell.

The OL is battered. However, I don't think any (not sure about Perkins) are too serious. Reed injured his hand or fingers but is expected to be back. Good news for him is I was told he said his back is as better than ever. Mastel, the other LG, is nursing something. Sain (RG) is also nursing an injury. Did anyone notice if Rollins was playing RG on Saturday?

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:04 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:03 am
Lots of chatter about Caden Dowler working at safety when I was there on Friday. Tells me they have a lot of confidence in Jackson at Nickel, which as was mentioned by BBT and Colter is a key position in this defense. Also tells me they want to have both Jackson and Dowler on the field as much as possible. I don't think it means they're worried about the safety position, but probably just want the best players possible on the field. Obviously, it has value in terms of injuries. Polidore is likely to miss the first two games.

The OL is battered. However, I don't think any (not sure about Perkins) are too serious. Reed injured his hand or fingers but is expected to be back. Good news for him is I was told he said his back is as better than ever. Mastel, the other LG, is nursing something. Sain (RG) is also nursing an injury. Did anyone notice if Rollins was playing RG on Saturday?

Is that Rollins with the beard behind reed? If so, looks like he was out for the scrimmage.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:33 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:04 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Is that Rollins with the beard behind reed? If so, looks like he was out for the scrimmage.
If not, he’s got a doppelgänger on the team.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:10 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:34 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:41 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:02 pm
Haven’t confirmed but I just heard Justus Perkins injured his knee.
Latest word is that this is an ankle injury. But still no confirmation on that.
Hopefully it's not serious.
I was there...from a distance and how they treated it, it looked like a high ankle sprain. Just my observation. His younger brother took over and poor Tommy was chasing snaps 20 yards backwards after that when the 1's were against the 1"s. Later on he settled down a little, but we can never take Justus for granted! He's a main cog in our success this year. Hope he's back soon.
My takeaway from the spring game was that Justice was our only consistent shotgun snapper.

Yikes

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:16 am

vike_king wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 11:10 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I was there...from a distance and how they treated it, it looked like a high ankle sprain. Just my observation. His younger brother took over and poor Tommy was chasing snaps 20 yards backwards after that when the 1's were against the 1"s. Later on he settled down a little, but we can never take Justus for granted! He's a main cog in our success this year. Hope he's back soon.
My takeaway from the spring game was that Justice was our only consistent shotgun snapper.

Yikes
No one is going to look good snapping the ball next to Perkins. If he's gone for an extended period of time, it's a huge loss. He isn't just good at snapping the ball. I think the biggest loss is his knowledge about what everyone along the line's responsibilities are recognizing what calls to make along the line. It'll be a huge adjustment, if needed. I think Vigen is available today, so details are probably forthcoming.

toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:21 am

vike_king wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yikes
That’s definitely still a concern.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:12 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by topshelfthepuck » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:40 am

TomCat88 wrote:

Another thought on Dowler getting reps at Strong Safety, maybe the coaching staff can move Ortt down in to the nickel from time to time and he plays in that extremely important role where he was very well suited 2 years ago. He is bigger than both Dowler and Jackson and is athletic enough to possibly be more effective there.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:44 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:16 am
vike_king wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yikes
No one is going to look good snapping the ball next to Perkins. If he's gone for an extended period of time, it's a huge loss. He isn't just good at snapping the ball. I think the biggest loss is his knowledge about what everyone along the line's responsibilities are recognizing what calls to make along the line. It'll be a huge adjustment, if needed. I think Vigen is available today, so details are probably forthcoming.
Ya, he is extremely important to our offense. He and Tommy are the two players we can't afford to be without.
Last edited by catatac on Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 12, 2024 11:37 am

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:40 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Another thought on Dowler getting reps at Strong Safety, maybe the coaching staff can move Ortt down in to the nickel from time to time and he plays in that extremely important role where he was very well suited 2 years ago. He is bigger than both Dowler and Jackson and is athletic enough to possibly be more effective there.
I've always thought Ortt is the next Ty Okada, not the next Brayden Konkol. Ortt is obviously much bigger than Okada. But he's a physical player who can and does play in the box. I've said consistently on Nuanez Now and the Big Sky Breakdown that his best spot might just be nickel.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Aug 12, 2024 12:50 pm

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:55 pm

Interesting he didn't mention Krahe when he talked about the LBs in the mix behind the starters. I had heard he flashed in the Spring. So I either heard wrong, or he took a step back, or perhaps injured or something. Also, I was wondering why none of our best receivers had any stats on Saturday? Did they sit out... or just not get thrown to, if anyone knows.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:56 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:55 pm
Interesting he didn't mention Krahe when he talked about the LBs in the mix behind the starters. I had heard he flashed in the Spring. So I either heard wrong, or he took a step back, or perhaps injured or something. Also, I was wondering why none of our best receivers had any stats on Saturday? Did they sit out... or just not get thrown to, if anyone knows.
Didn’t really get thrown to. Looked like cat/griz last year where we checked everything down to short passes over the middle.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:31 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:45 pm

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:44 pm

topshelfthepuck wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Have you seen Kaden Dowler up close lately? If Ortt is bigger it's not much...

2024 Resume dominance

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:37 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:44 pm
topshelfthepuck wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Have you seen Kaden Dowler up close lately? If Ortt is bigger it's not much...
Caden is listed at 6', but I don't think he's that tall. Ortt listed at 6'1". 200 lbs compared to 210. Probably not a ton different, but Ortt is definitely bigger.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:53 am

Has anyone done any type of scouting assessment of what UNM is going to look like this year? I know they have a new coach and a ton of new transfers. For an FBS/FCS game, we are pretty hefty favorites (7-8 points).

Do they have any impact players returning this year?
Do any of the new transfers look to be impactful?
Is there a chance UNM has improved from last year or are they completely in tear down/rebuild mode?

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:14 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:53 am
Has anyone done any type of scouting assessment of what UNM is going to look like this year? I know they have a new coach and a ton of new transfers. For an FBS/FCS game, we are pretty hefty favorites (7-8 points).

Is there a chance UNM has improved from last year or are they completely in tear down/rebuild mode?
On one of these threads there is a lobo fan that invited us to their board for friendly banter. What I get from them is that it's tear down rebuild mode, i think they brought in upwards of 40+ players. Not sure how many are considered impact players. Looking a yahoo sports it looks like they brought in a bunch of dbs from p4 schools or from CC. Looks like they are focusing on bolstering their defense to stay in games. That's about all I got, lolol.
Last edited by BobcatBuiltTexan on Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:34 am

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:14 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:53 am

On one of these threads there is a lobo fan that invited us to their board for friendly banter. What I get from them is that it's year down rebuild mode, i think they brought in upwards of 40+ players. Not sure how many are considered impact players. Looking a yahoo sports it looks life they bright in a bunch of dbs from p4 schools or from CC. Looks like they are focusing on bolstering their defense to stay in games. That's about all I got, lolol.
I heard 60... which is insane. I'm sure they'll have a bunch of talent, but you'd think it would take a while for them to figure out their identity and what they're doing. However, it sounds like they have a damn good QB and damn good head coach so when you have those things... you can be a dangerous team.