Fall Camp

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Fall Camp

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:52 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:34 am
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:14 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:53 am
Has anyone done any type of scouting assessment of what UNM is going to look like this year? I know they have a new coach and a ton of new transfers. For an FBS/FCS game, we are pretty hefty favorites (7-8 points).

Do they have any impact players returning this year?
Do any of the new transfers look to be impactful?
Is there a chance UNM has improved from last year or are they completely in tear down/rebuild mode?
On one of these threads there is a lobo fan that invited us to their board for friendly banter. What I get from them is that it's year down rebuild mode, i think they brought in upwards of 40+ players. Not sure how many are considered impact players. Looking a yahoo sports it looks life they bright in a bunch of dbs from p4 schools or from CC. Looks like they are focusing on bolstering their defense to stay in games. That's about all I got, lolol.
I heard 60... which is insane. I'm sure they'll have a bunch of talent, but you'd think it would take a while for them to figure out their identity and what they're doing. However, it sounds like they have a damn good QB and damn good head coach so when you have those things... you can be a dangerous team.
Yeah I heard 60 but I didn't want to be overzealous in my statement lolol. When I see 60 new players I hear pirates. Not that the kids are bad or anything but more juco mentality...a bunch of kids that will be coming in to shine as individuals. That's gonna be hard to get them to be team first. Now the HC is a good one so I'm sure he was somewhat selective on who he brought in. We'll see how it works out, they'll play really hard against us.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:56 am

Devon Dampier is their projected starter at QB. Sophomore who appeared in 9 games last year with 1 start. He's going to be a lot like Kaiden Bennett of Sac State. Ran for 359 yards last season and threw for 525. Containing him will be the key to stopping their offense.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:43 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:52 am
catatac wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Has anyone done any type of scouting assessment of what UNM is going to look like this year? I know they have a new coach and a ton of new transfers. For an FBS/FCS game, we are pretty hefty favorites (7-8 points).

Is there a chance UNM has improved from last year or are they completely in tear down/rebuild mode?
On one of these threads there is a lobo fan that invited us to their board for friendly banter. What I get from them is that it's year down rebuild mode, i think they brought in upwards of 40+ players. Not sure how many are considered impact players. Looking a yahoo sports it looks life they bright in a bunch of dbs from p4 schools or from CC. Looks like they are focusing on bolstering their defense to stay in games. That's about all I got, lolol.
I heard 60... which is insane. I'm sure they'll have a bunch of talent, but you'd think it would take a while for them to figure out their identity and what they're doing. However, it sounds like they have a damn good QB and damn good head coach so when you have those things... you can be a dangerous team.
Yeah I heard 60 but I didn't want to be overzealous in my statement lolol. When I see 60 new players I hear pirates. Not that the kids are bad or anything but more juco mentality...a bunch of kids that will be coming in to shine as individuals. That's gonna be hard to get them to be team first. Now the HC is a good one so I'm sure he was somewhat selective on who he brought in. We'll see how it works out, they'll play really hard against us.
60 transfers, we all know how well that worked for Colorado.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:22 pm

St George wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 12:43 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
catatac wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

They won more games.

ClowderUp
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ClowderUp » Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:55 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:22 pm
St George wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
catatac wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

They won more games.
And they had a fast start with an upset win in their first game.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:23 pm

St George wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
catatac wrote:
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Well it's yet to be seen what how well that has worked for Colorado, it's been one year. You don't go from winning 0-1 games to being highly successful in a year, it does take time. Now personally I don't think raiding the transfer portal is the way to go, jmo. Getting a few guys here and there to address possible exits from graduation or transfers out, I get. But a full overhaul of a team in one year, I just don't see that being a highly successful way to go in year 1, again jmo. They will come out playing hard because they are "supposed" to beat us being they are an FBS team, but we are "supposed" to win because we had a better season last year and we are considered by most a g5 fbs program playing in the FCS. I see a really good game, but I think we pull off a close win because we have more cohesiveness and experience/pride in/at our school(it seems weird but it matters).

VIGEN SZN
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by VIGEN SZN » Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:35 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:56 am
Devon Dampier is their projected starter at QB. Sophomore who appeared in 9 games last year with 1 start. He's going to be a lot like Kaiden Bennett of Sac State. Ran for 359 yards last season and threw for 525. Containing him will be the key to stopping their offense.
Hard to tell with all the transfer turnover and limited stats.

A few tid bits:
I like the connection between Dampier & Bennett - explosive, can't be taken lightly.
Solid RB covid redshirt super-senior Andrew Henry. Didn't tout the rock a whole lot last year, but did average 6.7 per attempt.
WR Luke Wysong was an attendee for their media days and on the CFB Comeback Player of the Year Watchlist. Was slated to be productive last year, but missed majority of season with injury.
DE Gabe Lopez, Wazzu transfer was other media days attendee. Not much production at Wazzu.
Punter is on the Ray Guy watchlist.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:45 pm

I feel like the most dangerous thing about playing your season opener against a team with 60 transfers and a brand new coaching staff is that nobody knows what to expect from such a team. A lot of comparisons to last year's Colorado team, but remember that they went on the road and beat TCU last year and looked pretty good early on before teams seemed to figure them out and the wheels fell off.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:00 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:45 pm
I feel like the most dangerous thing about playing your season opener against a team with 60 transfers and a brand new coaching staff is that nobody knows what to expect from such a team. A lot of comparisons to last year's Colorado team, but remember that they went on the road and beat TCU last year and looked pretty good early on before teams seemed to figure them out and the wheels fell off.
Not to argue but TCU was vastly overrated last year so that was where a bit of the shock came from.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:10 pm

Im more concerned with the injuries to the offensive line than anything UNM will put on the field.

Hating the griz since 02.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:19 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:10 pm
Im more concerned with the injuries to the offensive line than anything UNM will put on the field.
I'm not concerned as of yet with these injuries. I believe they all can be dealt with and be ready by next week essentially they have 2wks to get prepared for that first game. We have an experienced OL so I don't see them having a problem doing what needs to be done...because worst case scenario we run the heck out of the rock and just block the man in front of you and let our dudes do what dudes do...lol. I know that is a drastic over simplification of things but that's what you do as a coach "keep it simple stupid".

The 60 transfers do bother me to a point because you really don't know ability levels, actual scheme, etc. They will spend the first qtr figuring out what they are actually trying to do. Both sides will have to be pretty vanilla to start, so I think the success we will see in this game will squarely hinge on both the coaches ability to make adjustments and our players ability to implement said adjustments quickly. This is the type of game that pure athletes standout because they can just go out and be better than the man in front of them.
Last edited by BobcatBuiltTexan on Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:46 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:37 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:44 pm
topshelfthepuck wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:40 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:03 am
Lots of chatter about Caden Dowler working at safety when I was there on Friday. Tells me they have a lot of confidence in Jackson at Nickel, which as was mentioned by BBT and Colter is a key position in this defense. Also tells me they want to have both Jackson and Dowler on the field as much as possible. I don't think it means they're worried about the safety position, but probably just want the best players possible on the field. Obviously, it has value in terms of injuries. Polidore is likely to miss the first two games.

The safeties are Ortt and Steel at strong, and Polidore and Stillwell.
Another thought on Dowler getting reps at Strong Safety, maybe the coaching staff can move Ortt down in to the nickel from time to time and he plays in that extremely important role where he was very well suited 2 years ago. He is bigger than both Dowler and Jackson and is athletic enough to possibly be more effective there.
Have you seen Kaden Dowler up close lately? If Ortt is bigger it's not much...
Caden is listed at 6', but I don't think he's that tall. Ortt listed at 6'1". 200 lbs compared to 210. Probably not a ton different, but Ortt is definitely bigger.
I googled it and Ortt is listed at 6'1" 206 and Dowler at 6'0" 203

2024 Resume dominance

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:28 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:46 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:37 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 5:44 pm
topshelfthepuck wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:40 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:03 am
Lots of chatter about Caden Dowler working at safety when I was there on Friday. Tells me they have a lot of confidence in Jackson at Nickel, which as was mentioned by BBT and Colter is a key position in this defense. Also tells me they want to have both Jackson and Dowler on the field as much as possible. I don't think it means they're worried about the safety position, but probably just want the best players possible on the field. Obviously, it has value in terms of injuries. Polidore is likely to miss the first two games.

The safeties are Ortt and Steel at strong, and Polidore and Stillwell.
Another thought on Dowler getting reps at Strong Safety, maybe the coaching staff can move Ortt down in to the nickel from time to time and he plays in that extremely important role where he was very well suited 2 years ago. He is bigger than both Dowler and Jackson and is athletic enough to possibly be more effective there.
Have you seen Kaden Dowler up close lately? If Ortt is bigger it's not much...
Caden is listed at 6', but I don't think he's that tall. Ortt listed at 6'1". 200 lbs compared to 210. Probably not a ton different, but Ortt is definitely bigger.
I googled it and Ortt is listed at 6'1" 206 and Dowler at 6'0" 203
Not trying to be argumentative, but the 24 roster days otherwise. I believe you are looking at the 23 roster.

https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/roster/2024

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:52 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:00 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Not to argue but TCU was vastly overrated last year so that was where a bit of the shock came from.
Definitely overrated, but that was still the best win they had last year.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:55 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:50 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:52 pm
technoCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:00 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Definitely overrated, but that was still the best win they had last year.
One thing that teams had to figure out that New Mexico doesn’t have is Sanders son. Maybe they have someone similar. I also think there being relatively little history of Sanders’ coaching style had something to do with it.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Aug 14, 2024 8:06 am

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:12 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:03 am

lol... classic Baby Huck ripping into the reporter - hilarious!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:03 am
lol... classic Baby Huck ripping into the reporter - hilarious!
Are you referring to the part where he was saying, you want me to evaluate our coach in the newspaper?

If so, yeah that was really weird. Seems like a very mundane question. I don’t think the reporter was asking Hauk to go into a deep dive on it.